AppyParking+ helps users locate on and off-street parking and understand parking zones, as research reveals concerns about parking costs and restrictions
- Seven in 10 are concerned by the price of car parking
- Nearly half think there’s not enough information on parking
- AppyParking+ has launched a fun online quiz to determine a user’s ‘parking personality’
London 12 April 2022: UK adults are confused by parking information and restrictions, and are concerned by parking costs, according to new research.
The research was commissioned by AppyParking+, the UK’s smartest parking app, and asked 2,000 adults about their views on parking, revealing that a third (33%) never know whether there are parking restrictions, and the same (31%) think the information about parking is confusing. Almost half (45%) think there’s not enough information to tell motorists where to park and over a quarter (27%) get nervous that they’ve unknowingly parked somewhere they shouldn’t. Almost a half (46%) say parking is the most stressful part of driving.
It also emerged drivers are willing to travel a further five minutes away from their destination, or a ten-minute walk, to park for free. Which isn’t a surprise given seven in 10 (68%) are concerned by the price of parking, with adults suggesting that parking should cost no more than 84p per hour. In fact, AppyParking+ kerbside data has shown that the difference between parallel streets can be over £5 per hour.
To help with this, AppyParking+ can assist motorists to locate free or cheaper parking at or near their destination, as well as highlight parking restrictions and parking zones via a user-friendly map. AppyParking+ can also tell users when a paid spot becomes cost-free, help navigate users to the nearest five parking bays to their destination, and provides weekly operating hours and maximum stays for all bays, lines and zones. It also allows users to select a maximum walking time between parking and final destination. AppyParking+ has also created a short quiz to determine a user’s ‘parking personality’.
Dan Hubert, CEO and founder of AppyWay, parent company to AppyParking+, said:
”We know people can find parking stressful, as the research has shown, especially in busy cities with many restrictions and zones and costly parking charges. It’s been interesting to see the varying approaches to parking, as highlighted in our quiz too. We encourage people to get public transport when and where they can – which not only removes the parking stress completely, but reduces car emissions, which is better for the environment. When this isn’t possible, doing your parking research before you head off can help save time, mileage and pounds, helping to removing the rush and panic to find a space in unfamiliar or busy areas.
In fact, only just over a quarter (29%) always plan where they’re going to park before setting off, whereas 47% will only do so if it’s a new destination – and one in six never (17%) plan and deal with it when they arrive.
Busy streets (31%), anywhere where parallel parking is required (29%) and residential roads with potential restrictions were the most dreaded locations to park up (29%).
The research also revealed:
- When it comes to the act of parking, 62% rate themselves as being good at parking
- Parallel parking is the most common style of parking people think they’re bad at (28%)
- 78% are left annoyed when other people park badly
- Motorists will give up on a space over twice a week with 38% just carrying on until they find a space that works for them
Dan Hubert concluded:
”As the research has shown, the cost of parking is a major concern for motorists. Whilst we always encourage motorists to follow the local parking signs and advice, AppyParking+ can also help by giving you an informed choice on where to park, whether paid or free depending on your destination and clearly points out any restrictions or zones. In fact, our own AppyParking+ data shows that by planning ahead, you could save around £5 per hour on parking in busy cities.
APPYPARKING+ TOP TIPS TO REDUCE THE STRESS OF PARKING:
- If you can, do your research before you head off. AppyParking+ can highlight on + off street parking bays, cost-free car parks and where there are parking restrictions
- Parking a little further away from your destination might be cheaper, and it might be easier to find a space – parallel streets can have a cost difference of up to £5 per hour! AppyParking+ allows you to change how far you wish to walk to your destination and show parking within this walkable area
- Consider using public transport which will remove the parking and driving stress altogether, and is better for the environment!
- Flexible when you need to arrive at your destination? Paid bays often become free after a certain time, AppyParking+ helps drivers find free parking where and when they didn’t expect